Question
Posted by: Sue | 2008/07/31

Weight gain and trainig

Hi doc ,
I am currently on a Low GI Low Fat eating plan (this is my 2nd week) , it is wonderfull to have energy for longer periods and after the 1st week my weight came dowin with 0.8kg !! I feel great
BUT
It has been a week today , since I have started with trainging (lots of cardio 4x 1hour sessions this week) cycling and running (60 - 85 % mhr), I want to know if u think that it will be out of the norm to have picked up 0.6kg this week after all the training ?

HI Sue

I'd caution against looking at the scale every few days. If you want my opinion, I'd say weigh yourself once every 3 to 4 weeks and forget the number the rest of the time. You must remember that your body mass will fluctuate quite widely from one day to the next - a 1kg swing is not out of the ordinary, and so to me, this 0.6kg is insignificant. The other thing is that you can expect some mass gain during training, because you increase muscle mass, and you also increase the volume of blood as a result of training. These two combined can easily cause you to increase by 1 to 2kg. But they are good responses, and you should not be discouraged by them. Rather ignore mass and train for fitness - if you get fitter, then you'll get leaner and lighter too.