Question
Posted by: Hlengi | 2010-10-19

Weight gain and flat tummy

I am 31yrs old and after I had my second baby I lost my normal weight. I eat and I go to gym but I don''t seem to regain my weight.Please help, when I check my BMI I''m close to underweight. Please advice on what food to eat or supplements to take. I also can''t get a flat tummy even though I exercise my abs. This makes me look odd as I am skinny with tummy as if I''m in my early months of pregnancy. I gave birth through ceasar. Please help

Dear Hlengi
Firstly to gain weight: If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. Then as regards your tummy: Your tummy muscles may have been stretched to such an extent by your pregnancies that they no longer respond to targeted exercises like sit-ups. If this is the case, then you may have to consult a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck.
I hope you will not start gaining some weight so that your body will be in proportion and your tummy will no longer be so noticeable.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-19

Dear Hlengi