Question
Posted by: LIn | 2011/10/26

Weight gain and exercising

I''m 27 years old, 1.72 tall and weigh 51kg. I''ve been exercising more the past 4 months - mostly cardio (running, elliptical trainer and rowing machine) and some weights. I exercise most days of the week (at least 5 days a week) between 30min and an hour.

In this time, I''ve gained about 4 kg. Is it possible that the weight gain is due to an increase in muscle? Or has the fact that I''m underweight influenced my weight gain? I haven''t changed my eating habits much. I''m quite confused about my weight gain.

I must add, I don''t eat lots of protein (no red meat and occationally fish).

Hi Lin

It could be muscle, yes. Certainly part of it would be. Given that you started on the underweight side, the normal response to training may well be to increase mass. There's also an increase in plasma volume (literally, you make more blood) which would help.

Then, when people exercise, they do sometimes increase their energy intake, because exercise has the effect of making us hungry. So it's possible that you're making tiny changes to diet that are causing this. That's something you can only really figure out if you keep a food diary (which is a mission!) but it's possible, so be aware of it.

I think the key is that you're still nowhere near overweight, in fact you're still quite well underweight, and so as long as you're not just adding fat (and you'd see this), then keep going, because you're going in the right direction!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/30

Hi Lin

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc