Posted by: Jeni | 2012-05-21

Weight gain &  menopause

Went into menopause when I was 48. Only hot flashes now and then - nothing else except weight gain - mainly ring around my waistline and then hips. Do not eat a lot of carbohydrates except a sandwich for lunch each day. I take 400mg calcium each day and omega 3,6 &  9, plus I have high cholesterol which is inherited. Any suggestions. Thank you

You will have to increase your calcium increase to 1200mg daily. A consultation with a dietrician will be beneficial, in order to get a tailored diet worked out for you. At least 45 minutes of cardiovascular exercise, 4 to 5 times per week, is necessary to loose weight and tone muscle. If possible, consult a personal trainer to get you on the right track.