Posted by: Charmaine | 2008-12-10

Weight gain &  menopause

I' m 49yrs old, 1.69m, 78kg and am going thru menopause but am not taking any HRT as my GP does not believe it to be necessary. My problem tho is that i just keep on gaining weight. I' ve never really exercised or watched what i ate. I now watch what i eat.
Breakfast - Special K with Skim milk
Mid morning - small apple
Lunch - a shake with fat free milk
Mid afternoon - small apple
Dinner - grilled chicken (the frozen Flame Grilled one), 1 small potato &  veggies done in the microwave.

I drink at least 2lt water a day and maybe 1 cup of tea. It does not seem to help at all. i just keep on gaining weight. Am i doing something wrong or need to do anything extra. I also seem to be constipated often now.

Please help.

Dear Charmaine
Research has shown that some women do tend to gain weight during the menopause if they take HRT or not. The diet you describe should promote weightloss. You can try adding aerobic exercise to your regimen (for example going for brisk walks, swimming, cycling, skipping) for at least 30 min a day as exercise does help with weightloss and strengthens the skeleton which can help to prevent osteoporosis. If you find that you are still not lose weight with this diet when it is combined with exercise then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to see if you have other problems such as low thyroid function and/or insulin resistance. Your BMI = 27,3 which is above the upper level of the normal range. To get back into the normal range (18-25) with a BMI of 24, you would need to weigh 69 kg.