Posted by: At wits end | 2009-09-29

Weight gain after substantial loss

I have had a constant battle with my weight ever since I can remember. Three years ago enough was enough when I tipped the scales at over 97kg. I put myself on Weigh-Less (did it on my own, no classes) and over a period of two and a half years lost 27kg. I felt marvellous and looked better in my clothing. I was also going to gym but with the current financial situations, I have had to give up the gym as I just cannot afford it anymore. My father passed away (we were very close) and ever since then I have been battling with my weight again. I have gained 7kg in a matter of 4 months and it is making me depressed. I have a cupboard full of clothes and none fit anymore. I put myself back on weigh less and gained 1 kg in a month. I now just give up, maybe I was just destined to be the " fat mom" ! I eat a high fibre diet, my bowels are not working the way they should, I am constantly hungry and could eat all day if I had the opportunity. I am worried that there is something else wrong with me, my doctor says that I have IBS but the meds haven' t worked. Everytime I go back it is the same thing and it is all " stress related" . I had my thyroid checked over a year ago and that was apprently fine. What do I do now, I can' t go on gaining weight like this, it is really a confidence breaker. Please help me!!!

Dear Wits End
I think what has happened to you at the moment is that your weight gain is possibly due to depression on the one hand and lack of exercise on the other. Losing a beloved parent can cause depression which in turn can be responsible for massive weight gain or weightloss depending on the individual patient. I would recommend that you mention this to your dr because you may require some treatment for depression until you have adjusted to life without your dear Dad. If you find that you are not coping then do try and get some assistance from a clinical psychologist (hopefully your medical aid will pay for some sessions?). The fact that you cannot afford to go to the gym may also be depressing you, so as I advised the previous Reader, buy a skipping rope and start skipping every day for 30 min. This is an inexpensive way of getting plenty of aerobic exercise (going for brisk walks will also do the trick) and the good thing about aerobic exercise is that it also lifts the mood and stimulates your metabolism.
So don't give up now, get help for the depression is this is a problem and get active without having to spend lots of money!

Posted by: L | 2009-09-29

I am sorry to hear about your fathers loss and how depressed you arein terms of your weight.

My advice is dont give up. Start all over again. Now that u cant afford a gym, I suggest you try jogging, skipping or fastwalking. This really helps me a lot because exercise does promote weight loss. Drink 8 glassses of water a day.

When you are hungry grab a fruit or a low fat youghurt or provitas, that really helps.

Reply to L