Question
Posted by: Frustrated | 2011/10/06

Weight gain after stopping smoking

Good day. I used Champix for 20 days to stop smoking and stopped using the pills. I still haven''t smoked but I''ve gained 6kg''s. I have not replaced smoking with eating and I''m very careful not to eat too much, but I''m still gaining weight. I''ve been told that smoke increases your metabolism and this may be the reason why I''m picking up weight since my metabolism has slowed down. I''m drinking pills that are supposed to increase my metabolism and I bought an exercise bike today. What else could I do or when will my metabolism go back to the way it was?Please give me advise, this is so frustrating and I don''t want to start smoking again just to lose weight. Thank you

Dear Frustrated
Congratulations for stopping smoking, your health will improve dramatically. Please don't panic because you have gained 6 kg. It is a known fact that individuals who stop smoking initially gain a bit of weight (this is because your metabolism starts working more efficiently), but if you eat a balanced, low-fat diet and also do some exercise every day (start off by going for walks in the fresh air!), then the weight gain will stop and you will get back to your normal weight over time. I wrote an article on this important subject a while ago, so click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and do a Search for 'Stopping smoking' to read all the tips for overcoming this temporary problem.
Stick to your guns and you will get there.

1

Dear Frustrated