Question
Posted by: wesley | 2009-03-04

weight gain after illness

my husband was diagnosed with oesophangitis in nov. he was vomiting non stop due to a high level of acid in his stomach. he is also hiv positive. the vomiting stopped about three weeks ago. he has lost a lot of weight. any supplements that he can take to speed up his weight gain

Dear Wesley
I am so sorry to hear that your dear hubby suffers from oesophagitis and is HIV+. This is a complicated scenario and I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to take your buddy's medical conditions, any medications he is using and the extreme weightloss into account when she/he works out an individual diet prescription for your hubby. Weightloss is highly detrimental to survival in patients with HIV/AIDS, so please see the dietitian as soon as possible.
Holding thumbs that he starts gaining weight