Question
Posted by: Lani | 2009/11/24

Weight gain after breastfeeding

I' ve never had a weight problem and I was very lucky to only gain 9kg during my pregnancy, after the birth of my daughter I lost all my pregnancy weight as well as another 8kg (without even trying!) I breastfed for 11months and ever since I' ve just been gaining weight nonstop. I' ve always been a healthy eater and follow a low GI diet which I enjoy. I also swim every day. I' m a stay at home mommy so going to gym is not an option right now. I' ve now gained 13kg since I stopped breastfeeding 9 months ago and am on the verge of being over weight. Please help. What can I do? I' m 1.7m tall and now weigh 76kg and I am 32 years old.

Dear Lani
It is possible that you either got used to a higher energy intake during breastfeeding or that you have a hormonal imbalance that is causing your weight gain - 13 kg in 9 months is a lot and with a BMI of 26,3 you are already above the normal cut-off point (18-25 is the normal range for BMI values). I think it may be a good idea to have your gynae or dr do a checkup to see if you have hormone problems (thyroid, female hormones or insulin). The fact that you are already on a low-GI diet and swim every day, does seem to indicate that there is an underlying problem. One important factor which may also play a role is depression, which is not uncommon after the birth of a child, esp if the mother stays at home. So discuss this factor with your dr when you go for the checkup.
I hope you can pinpoint what is causing your increasing weight gain.

1

Dear Lani