Question
Posted by: Always FAT | 2012/05/18

weight gain

Hi Doc, I am a 28 year old female. I am not sexualy active and does not drink a contraceptive pill. I am about 40kg overweight, but has been struggling to lose weight. My doctor says I am too young to have a hormonal imbalance. Last year he gave me eltroxin and glocaphage to drink, even though the tests showed that my thyroid was okay and I am not insulen resistant. I tried it for 3 months, but did not loose weight, so I stopped. I dont like medicine if I am not sick. My period was always on a 28-32 days cycle, but since last year when I had swine-flu, it is irregular. It has been 46 days since my last period and I have really heavy periods. I have joined weigh-less and stick to my eating plan 95%, but still I do not lose weight. Is there doctors in gauteng that specialize in weight-loss but doing it the healthy way, no operations. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you, Always FAT.

Dear Reader
There are doctors and dietitians in Gauteng who specialise in weightloss and who should be able to help you. I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (a medical dr who has specialised in hormonal imbalances) to assess your thyroid, insulin levels and female hormones. If you do have a hormonal problem the dr will then prescribe treatment and if you do suffer from insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, or metabolic syndrome, then it is essential that you consult a a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with the correct diet which is one of the most important factors in treatment.
You can look up Endocrinologists in the Medical pages of the telephone directory or ask your nearest hospital to give you the contact details of such a doctor.
I hope you will start losing weight.

1

Dear Reader
I hope you will start losing weight.