Question
Posted by: Cal | 2012/03/09

Weight Gain

I am a 49 year old female who is 6"  tall and weighs 85kg. I wear a size 12 and work out regularly at the gym both cardio and weights. I have noticed a distinct " thickening"  around my torso although when naked this is not obvious however my normal clothes are suddenly very tight around the middle. An appearance of " muffin top"  does not exactly thrill me either. I have been pushing my ab workouts and am now trying to ascertain if the sudden change is age related / diet related or due to overtraining. I have not noticed any signs of menopause yet although I realise it is probably not too far off.

My normal diet is high in fibre &  fruit &  veg and I rarely eat sweets / deserts etc. I have never battled with my weight and very rarely diet as my weight has remained constatnt over the years.

Dear Cal
If your 'thickening' around the waist is due to weight gain, which is possible as your current BMI = 25,4 (slightly above the upper level of the normal range of 18-25), then reducing your energy and fat intake slightly should solve the problem. Combine this moderate weight reduction (about 5-8 kg so that you can achieve a BMI of about 23), with targeted exercises for those areas that appear problematic, Your gym instructor should be able to advise you regarding such exercises.

2
Posted by: Kathleen Ngcobo | 2012/03/13

I am battling to regain weight that i lost due to illness. What and how often should I eat

Reply to Kathleen Ngcobo

Dear Cal