Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2011/11/09

weight gain

Good day, I am at the stage of just giving up, i am so depressed it is not even funny so i hope you can help me.

3 weeks ago i went and saw a dietician in order to help me lose weight the first week she send me my eating plan things went well in a way. the first week i lost 0.5kg by week 2 i have dropped down 1.4kg and i was very excited about this, along with the eating plan i also started going to the gym, i am in the gym now for 2 weeks 4 days per week for 1hr.

the problem is that i have lost the 1.4kg''s and then picked it all up again i also felt my pants started getting loser and now they are even tighter than before, what is going on with me? i am feeling so depressed this week about picking everything back up and my clothes being tighter than before

typically i do 1km of brisk walking at a pase of 5.2km/h that is fast walking for me cause i have short legs(i am short) and core training everyday along withthat i will alternate between doinglegs or arms etc. so one day i will do legs the next day i will do arms but i walk every day and do my stomach every day

please help me, any advice would be apreciated i need to see results, i cant work hard, eat well and pick up weight, that is not going to keep me motivated.

kind regards

Dear Liezel
I can understand that you are feeling depressed, but please don't be. You have proof that the diet does work if you lost 1,4 kg in 2 weeks. I think that you are at present building muscle tissue with all that exercise and ironically muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue which is why you may weigh a bit more despite a loss of fat. Please give your body, the diet and the exercise a chance to work. You did not gain the weight in 2 weeks, so if it takes awhile for the results to show, then please be patient and persevere. You need to see results, but you also need to be realistic. Rome was not built in a day either.
Hang in there now and stop getting depressed because depression and stress can hamper weightloss too.

2
Posted by: Irah-Blu | 2011/11/10

Hi Liezel

I can sympathise - I think most of us sit with this issue. We practically exercise our butts off - only it is NOT comming off!!! I have read up so much about this my head hurts, but what it boils down to is this: Muscle is more dense than fat, therefore it makes us more shapely, and fat is floppy and puffy. It is like comparing 1kg feathers to 1kg lead. They are both 1 kg, but the lead takes up a lot less space. As far as the clothes fitting tighter  I have noticed from my own experience that my pants seem to fit tighter, but only because my bum has lifted and appears more shapely, which is certainly not a bad thing and even though the scale hasnt budged, I am appreciating my legs for the first time in years thanks to all the exercise.

So at the end of the day, look at the results differently. I have thrown away my scale, measure myself every two weeks and bought a few items that fir me now. Our body shapes change with exercise, so most of our old clothes will fit differently. So who cares if you wear a 38, if it is healthy and lean underneath the skin!

Reply to Irah-Blu

Dear Liezel