Question
Posted by: NVW | 2011/08/29

Weight gain

Need some help, I am on a mission to loose weight, but via eating Low GI and doing exercise. The problem is my hubby needs to pick up weight but he is losing weight due to my Low GI eating. What can he do to pick up weight? Is their a supplement or perhaps shake that he can drink additional?

THanks

Dear NVW
I am pleased to hear that you are losing weight so sensibly with a low-GI diet and exercise. You have proof that this diet works in that your hubby is also losing weight! I would recommend that your hubby should eat larger portions of the permitted foods and add additional kJ to his intake by using monounsaturated oils like olive oil and vinegar dressings on his salads, monounsaturated margarine and peanut butter on his bread and dried fruit and nuts as high-energy snacks. For basic information about Weight Gaining, click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your hubby's energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. He should talk to the pharmacist about his need to gain weight and see which products the pharmacist will recommend. Basically he needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much he eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to his regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If he uses a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then he should gain 1 kg per week.
Keep up the good work

1

Dear NVW
Keep up the good work