Question
Posted by: anon1986 | 2011-02-23

Weight gain

I went through a very difficult break up last year. Because of the stress I was starting to develop stomach ulcers. I have since been getting really bad heartburn and then eat to try and keep the burn away. Will it help if I rather take some anti-acid instead of eating or could this be bad for my health. I have gained more than 20kg in 12 months!!!

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Anon1986,
I strongly suggest that you consider seeing you general practitioner and be prescribed some medication for your heartburn rather than resorting to food that is resulting in significant weight gain. I am not sure what your current weight is, and whether you are now overweight, but a 20 kilogramn iuncrease in one year is significant if you were coming from a normal weight from the outset. I suspect that your reasons for (over)eating were more than just "medicinal" for the heartburn, but is it not possible that you have been comfort eating in response to the emotions associated with the break-up? You should become more conscious of your dietary intake, exercise moderately, and perhaps consider talking to a counsellor or therapist about your feelings if you are still struggling with your circumstances. And as far as your heartburn is concerned, your GP should be able to prescribe you a number of excellent and safe products to resolve that problem. I assume that your peptic ulceration is also being managed?
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: lorryn | 2011-03-10

i am a 18 year old gal,trying to gain weight.i was in matric last year and i had so much stress that i have lost alot of weight

Reply to lorryn
Posted by: anon1986 | 2011-02-23

Forgot to mention, my height is 1.86 and I now weigh 96. used to weight between 72-75kgs. I am 25.

Reply to anon1986