Question
Posted by: Tumi | 2010/10/27

Weight gain

Dear Doc

Firstly i would like say thank you for your prompt response on all the questions..Keep the good work up.

i wrote a question to you a while ago saying that i am desperately trying to gain weight. i followed your eating plan to the last detail and i have increased my food intake to 4 full meals+ snacks in between but no luck. my metabolism is very fast, i''ve researched about an over-active thyroid and i was not surprised to relate with all the symptoms and i think i''m suffering from hyperthyroisim which includes rapid bowel movements, palpitations, excessive sweating, increased food intake but no weight gain, reduced menstrual flow.

I would like to visit a dietician but i dont have a medical aid and cash is a bit of a challenge.

My question is, i want to buy a meal replacement to have in conjuction with my normal eating but i suspect it would not work effectively because the issue at hand could be the over active thyroid. can i get Bata Blockers or thyroid medication over the counter without a consultation and prescribtion based on my assumption? if yes, a recommendation would be highly appreciated.

i am 23 years old, 45kg, 1.43 in height

Dear Tumi
Thank you for your kind words, they make my week! If you are suffering from an over-active thyroid gland or hyperthyroidism, and from the description of your symptoms it sounds as if you do, then you must Please see a medical doctor for an assessment of your condition. Save up or borrow some money to be able to pay the dr because hyperthyroidism can be caused by a number of factors which may endanger your health and even your life. This is an emergency and if necessary you can go to one of the government hospitals just to get a diagnosis. I know it's a long drawn-out process, but your life may be at stake and you may need special treatments to stop your thyroid from producing more and more thyroid hormone. This is not something that you can self-medicate or treat with the odd beta-blocker. So get some financial help and see a doctor or got to your nearest government hospital and insist on seeing one of their Endocrinologists (drs who specialise in hormone imbalances).
This is a serious situation that requires the correct treatment, so get some expert help ASAP.
Holding thumbs that you can obtain some assistance without having to break the bank.

1

Dear Tumi