Question
Posted by: SS | 2010/04/10

Weight Gain

I am 24 yr old male.6feet tall with a body weight of 44kg.I have been underweight all my life &  have not undergone any major medications as I had tonsilitis problem earlier.Now,I have almost all symptoms of Hyperthyroidism.Kindly advise the treatment for the same &  how can I gain weight fast.
Also are protein supplements with whey,creatine etc any good in my case?Do they have any sideeffects?
Please advise.Thanks

Dear SS
If you suspect that you are suffering from hyperthyroidism then it is essential that you have a medical checkup immediately. If you do have an overactive thyroid the dr will prescribe the necessary treatment. For basic information on weight gaining, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements (these differ from the sport supplements you describe). Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1

Dear SS