Question
Posted by: Martie | 2010/02/11

Weight gain

Dear Fitness Doc
I have noticed by monitoring my weight daily for months, that when I sit in bed studying for days on end I usually lose one or two kg' s.
But when I am back at the gym and exercise hard, I easily gain one kg overnight without eating significantly more.
Why can this be?
Kind regards
Martie

Hi Martie

Water changes are likely to explain this. When you're completely inactive, your plasma volume will fall. When you exercise, it increases, and that could easily swing by 1l each way, making up the difference you've noticed (interesting observation, by the way).

It could also be diet related, in that perhaps when you train, you eat more and this actually adds weight. If that's the case, then it's an interesting observation that explains how to lose weight if you want to. And note that this diet change can be sub-consious, you may be unaware it's happening.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/19

Hi Martie

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc