Question
Posted by: Anne | 2010/02/01

Weight gain

Hi, I am a sufferer of chronic pancreatitis and have lost weignt and unable to gain again. I was on Creon to help with absorption and have stopped taking them. I find that my food goes straight through me when I take them. What can I do?

Dear Anne
Creon is digestant that contains pancreatin which is made up of the enzymes that your own pancreas is unable to make, namely amylase (to digest carbs), lipase (to digest fats) and protease (to digest proteins) so that you are able to absorb the nutrients from these so-called macronutrients. If the Creon is NOT working and your are not able to gain weight, you must please do 2 things: 1) Go back to the doctor who is treating your chronic pancreatitis and tell him/her that the enzyme replacement therapy is not working so that he/she can assist you with additional treatment. 2) Consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can help you with a diet that you can absorb to promote weight gain. You have a serious condition and need expert support.
I hope that you will soon start gaining weight.

1

Dear Anne