Question
Posted by: Martie | 2009-11-16

Weight gain

Dear Doc
My BMI went up from 19 to 20, and I feel like a fat pig. Do I need to feel bad about BMI 20? 163cm.51.5kg. To keep my bmi 19 I have to eat so little, its difficult to maintain, especially when eating out, which happens a lot during this time of year. Seems like with every glass of wine I drink I gain a kg. And I cannot afford spirits at the restaurant, and I do love to have one drink when going out.

Dear Martie
A BMI of 20 is actually regarded as undesirable and one of 19 as practically anorexic. You should have an ideal BMI of 22 for which you would need to weigh 58 kg! From what you say, it sounds to me as if you have a tendency towards an eating disorder - you think you are fat when you are skin and bone, you admit to eating practically nothing, and you are starving yourself to maintain an unhealthy weight. Please stop obsessing about your weight and try to enjoy life. If you gain a bit of weight you would still look lovely and you would be able to enjoy a balanced meal and the odd glass of wine now and then. Life is to be lived and enjoyed, not a torture to maintain an impossibly thin figure.
Don't spoil your life and your health

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-16

Dear Martie
Don't spoil your life and your health