Posted by: A | 2009-01-16

Weight Gain

Hello Doc,

All the best for 2009.

I am 1.73m tall, but weigh 55kgs. I cannot gain weight, even when I do weight training or lead a fit life while playing soccer. I have maintained this constant weight for the past 10 years or so.

Could you please advise me on how to gain weight/muscle, even if its just a few kilos.

Thanking you in advance.

Dear A
Thank you for the good wishes. I too would like to wish you a happy and prosperous 2009. Your present BMI = 18,4 which is already nearly in the underweight range. Seeing that you have weighed so little for the past 10 years, I suspect that you have a very high basic metabolic rate (i.e. you use up much more energy to keep your basic body processes going than most other people). Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. Now to gain muscles it is necessary to do workouts with weights (not cardio exercises as these burn even more energy) and to persist because muscle building is a slow process.
I do hope that 2009 will be the year when you gain at least 10 kg!