Question
Posted by: newelly | 2008/09/30

weight gain

Dr. I have a child of eight years who is weighing 21Kg now. is it a nomally weight for his age? or he is under weight.
if so what can i give him so as he can gain more? currently he is suferring from Asthma. Please advise me.

Dear Newelly
International tables list the average weight of an 8-year-old child as about 24 kg and a height on average of 122 cm. Basically you should give him a normal, balanced diet for children of his age and encourage him to eat slightly more at each meal and to have nutritious snacks in between meals. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and then on 'Diets for schoolchildren' to see what and how much he should be eating. Also check with the dr who is treating him for his asthma if any one of the medications are suppressing his appetite? A general multivitamin and mineral tonic (ask you chemist for one suitable for 8-year-olds) could also help by stimulating his appetite.
Hope your lad gains a bit of weight