Question
Posted by: elaine | 2008/08/29

weight gain

Hi doc, I have being losing some weight recently and getting quite worried, I need some advice, I went to the doc to check thyroid and iron levels and it is fine, i also went for gastroscopy and the found a slight ulcer but i received treatment and it is fine now. I can not have milk by itself because it gives me diarreah, is there anything that i can have to help me gain weight again
thanks, elaine

Dear Elaine
I am sorry to hear that you have had an ulcer and I wonder if your weightloss was not stress-related? Stress is a major reason for developing ulcers. For basic information on how to gain weight, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Because you seem to be allergic to milk, you will not be able to use most of the liquid meal supplements that are usually used for weight gain, which means that you basically need to eat more food by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal or by having more healthy snacks between meals. If stress is still a feature in your life, then do consider consulting a clinical psychologist about methods of coping with stress. Doing gentle exercise like yoga and deep breathing exercises can also help to defuse stress.