Posted by: Roz | 2009-04-20

Weight gain 11 year old

I have an 11 year old daughter, 1.5m tall and she weighs 33kg. Extremenly active healthy child, but surely she' s underweight and what is the solution?

Dear Roz
Your daughter has a BMI of 14,7 which is very low for her age. Please read my answer to the previous Reader who is also struggling to again weight. The same recommendations apply in children. It is always a good idea to have an underweight child checked by a medical dr, just to make sure that she does not have an underlying physical problem that is preventing her from gaining weight and growing normally (e.g. overactive thyroid, enzyme deficiency, food sensitivities, etc). If she is given a clean bill of health then do read the article on 'Weight gaining' by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining'.