Question
Posted by: Despondent | 2011-07-21

weight - endocrinologist

Pls help me. I suffer with insulin resistance and PCOS. I am constantly on diet and seem to get nowhere. I have been to a very well known dietitian who has written several books on Syndrome X, After a year with her I was exactly the same weight as I had started. I went to a GP who prescribed Glucophage and once a week I had vitamin B injections to help. I have been on every diet, Sureslim, Weighless, Atkins, etc. I am approx 20kgs overweight and I don''t exercise as much as I should, but surely with all the effort that I put in I should be able to lose some weight! am at my wits end. Do I just come to terms with this horrible battle or would an Endocrinologist be the right route for me to go? And if so how do I find one in Jhb that specialises in weight lossn pcos and insulin resistance?
Thanks for your advise.

It will be an excellent idea to consult an endocrinologist, as they specialise in hormonal abnormalities, which could be the possible cause for your inability to loose weight. Contact your nearest hospital for the details of an endocrinologist in your area.

Please remember that exercise will burn excess calories. Try a rigorous exercise regime.

3
Posted by: PCOS Sufferer | 2011-07-26

Hi there. I relate to your story, as I also have PCOS and insulin resistance and am also 20kg overweight. I''ve also been on every diet or eating plan under the sun and nothing seems to work. I went to Tess vd Merwe a few years ago (R1100 a consultation) and she prescribed Cipla Pioglitazone and told me to go see a gynae. Which I did! Two laparoscopies later, following ovarian drilling and ovary splicing, I still have not had any lasting results. My gynae told me to leave my contraceptive pill (Yasmin) two months ago and I''ve gained 5 more kgs. During those two months I''ve been walking 5kms 3 times a week and still no luck. I''m still on Cipla and am going to be starting my pill again. Please let me know if you have any luck! I''m just as desperate as you are!!!

Reply to PCOS Sufferer
Posted by: despondent | 2011-07-22

Morning JC
Thanks for your advice. Have a super day

Reply to despondent
Posted by: JC | 2011-07-21

The best that you can do is Prof Tess van der Merwe. She use to be in Centurion, but I believe she has moved to Sunnighill Hospital. Please Google her - she is a world expert endocrinologist en specialises in weight loss. You will not regret it.

Reply to JC