Question
Posted by: Confidence | 2011/06/22

Weight bearing exercises to increase bone density

I''ve recently done a bone denisty test and it turns out mine is very low. I was advised to do weight bearing exercises but I''m not sure excatly what kind of exercises are these. Please advise

Anything where you're loading the bone counts as weight bearing. Walking is the obvious one, because every foot contact puts your body mass onto the bone. Running obviously does the same, but is much faster and so can cause problems (this is why people get injured). So start with walking, build to running.

Then weight training is the same - when you lift a weight, you're using muscle and loading it, but the bone is also being placed under the strain, so it's the same kind of thing. Cycling and swimming are less weight bearing, so you may want to avoid those. Or rather, don't avoid them, but realise that they aren't necessarily best for weight bearing.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/06/30

Reply to fitnessdoc