Question
Posted by: Patrick | 2011-04-06

Weight and training

I have been training moderately since January 2011 to lose some weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I run at least 4 km in the morning and in the evening. I also do a bit of weightlifting in my garage and punch-bag boxing. I have reduced my intake of meat and eat mostly fruits and vegies, and drink a lot of water and herbal teas. I have since lost about 5 kgs, from 105 to 100kg. My old clothes are beginning to fit me and new ones require adjustments. My sex life has also improved tremendously.

I am 45 years and 1.8 metres tall and generally well-built. What I would like to know is the ideal weight for my height. Seeing that for a couple of weeks now I have maintained my weight at 100 kgs, do I need reduce more or has my weight stabilised in relation to my height?

Hi Patrick

It's a really wide range, that's the problem. It's not like I can say 85 kg is the target, because people are different and so that's why we have these ranges. In your case, anything between 75kg and 90kg would put you in a good weight range. So you may be able to lose a bit more, but again, here I'd emphasize that sometimes, people are healthy despite being heavier than others who are the "perfect" weight but who do nothing.

So given your success so far, and the fact that you're feeling good, you shouldn't now interpret this to mean that you're doing badly. You're not. You may b able to lose a little more and one of the ways you might do this is to increase the exercise duration just a touch. Maybe once or twice a week, it's a 6km jog in the evening, or a 10 km run on the weekend, or something like that.

That might be the next step, and then take it from there

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-04-14

Hi Patrick

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc