Question
Posted by: R | 2011/11/30

Weight and sterilisation

HI Doc,
I am due to give birth on Monday, 5th, and am planning to be sterilised at the same time. I would just like to know if sterilisation does affect weight in any way? I am planning to start exercising to get back into shape as soon as I am well again.
Many thanks,
R

Dear R
Congratulations on the coming birth of your baby on Monday. From a physiological point of view, sterilisation which entails ligature of the Fallopian Tubes, should have no effect on weight, because your ovaries will not be affected and will continue to produce female hormones as in the past. If you were using female hormone pills as a form of contraception before the sterilisation then you could find that you either gain or lose weight because women tend to react individually to the contraceptive pill. From a psychological point of view, having a sterilisation may affect some women who get depressed when they realise that they cannot conceive anymore. Depression can also either cause weight gain or loss depending on the individual patient. If you don't tend to depression then this should not be a problem. Wishing you and your baby all the very best for Monday.

1

Dear R