Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/08/16

weight and "  society" 

hi there
firstly, i know this is for male eating disorders, but i suppose this could be directed at both genders.

if i have a BMI of 14, but have no symptoms of malnutrition or starvation, why would i have to gain weight to fall within the "  norm"  ? it''''s unfair that if bone scans, blood tests etc are all good, but just because of WEIGHT and "  people being concerned"  i need to gain weight. if i was slightly overweight nobody would say anything, because in todays society it''''s acceptable to be that way,.

excuse my rant, but everyone''''s concern about me and wanting me to seek help is extremely frustrating. when does someone go inpatient vs outpatient in an eating disorders clinic anyway?

thanks for your time in reading all of this.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Anon,
First, your loved ones and others who know you have very good reason to be concerned, very concerned. Even if your bloods and bone scan (for now) appear normal, your BMI of 14 places you considerably underweight, and is a serious consequence of obvious malnutrition. I very much doubt any physician is going to assess you and send you away in good health with nothing to worry about. Look at you current weight. Now, ask yourself what your weight was 3 months ago…6 months ag0…a year ago. Have you not lost considerable weight? And if so, has this not been as a result of a considerable change in eating habits and/or increase in exercise. You need to ask yourself the difficult question and respond honestly as to what you might be trying to achieve. Why is everyone else concerned and not you? And what are you finding most frustrating? Okay, you ask about inpatient/outpatient options. I will seldom treat someone on an outpatient level with a BMI lower than 16, at which point admission to our inpatient unit is much more containing and safer an environment. The human brain also becomes “fuzzy” when the BMI drops below 16 (on average), so outpatient therapy can be very difficult when a BMI drops below this level. Can you now see why you might be experiencing frustration, while all those who care for you are concerned and worried? This forum is not for doing therapy, so I will not try and endeavour to do so hear. However, my email is available and you can contact me should you be willing to discuss some professional help. I hope to hear from you.

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/08/17

Hello Anon,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert