Question
Posted by: kelly | 2010/03/15

weight and fitness

when i was in my twenties merely adjusting my diet would help me lose weight, now in my thirties and post pregnancy, it''s not that simple. so i''ve joined the gym. however i dont know where to start.
losing weight is my primary goal and fitness secondary, then what sort of exercises, machines etc should i use? i need to have more energy to handle an active baby, so while fitness is secondary, it is very important.
i can only work out three times per week. how long should each workout be and is there anything i can do at home on those days that i do not go to gym? i know it would be easier for you to assess if you had all my info, but i just need a rough idea. i dont have any injuries or health complications, so anything goes. i am 10kilos overweight. thanks.

HI Kelly

Yes, the sad thing about time is that as we get older, our metabolic rate drops and so it does get harder to maintain weight. That's why what works at 20 doesn't work at 30.

So you're on the right track now. My advice is to get onto a programme, just for the direction it will provide you with. You can find programmes on this site, on the fitness page, under the link "Programmes". Alternatively, make use of the expertise at the gym, and speak to a trainer, and they can show you how to go about it. This is the best option, because then you get to see what machines to use, how to use them, and you get a programme from it.

Three days a week is a good start. Go with that. On the days when you can't go to gym, you ight try running or walking from home, which is a good form of training. You might find that you end up doing this at the gym anyway, so may as well do it outdoors as well!

I'd definitely speak to the trainer at the gym - you're paying for their service, after all, and they're there to provide expertise that you need, so I'd say to make use of them.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/17

HI Kelly

Reply to fitnessdoc