Question
Posted by: Robert de Klerk | 2010/01/25

Weight and diabetes 2

Hello Doc.

I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 about 4 years ago. I actually told my doctor that this is great because now I will lose weight as my father did!! I went on pills to set this right but I do not loose weight!! I must eat the correct foods which I do and my sugar levels are 100%. I cannot go on these strict diets for I must eat the correct foods for my sugar. Why do I keep on picking up weight? it goes up and up and I am worried because I had a heartattack in 2001.

I do not crave food or want to eat extra food because I am hungry. I do get hungry but I will eat a fruit when I feel hungry.

Any suggestions?

Dear Robert
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your diabetes and that you have had a heart attack. If you have not yet consulted a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), then please make an appointment ASAP. If you do have a clinical dietitian who has worked out a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet for you that takes all your specific needs into account (type 2 diabetes, raised blood fat levels, weight gain), then you need to return to her/him and discuss this weight gain and how your individual diet and/or medications can be changed. It is essential that you are under the guidance of a dietitian and go for regular checkups. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Once you have your blood insulin and blood glucose levels under control again and are losing weight, discuss what kind of gentle exercise you are allowed to do with the dr who is monitoring your type 2 diabetes and heart health. If the dr gives permission you may be able to go for a walk every day for 30 min to help with insulin and blood glucose control. But only do exercise if the dr gives permission!

3
Posted by: Robert | 2010/01/26

Dankie Dok ek sal afspraak maak by my Dokter wat my behandel vir suiker. ek sal ook oplees soos u aanbeveel.

Johan...ek gebruik Glucophage 1000 2x per dag so as jy dit sê  maak dit sin. ek sal dit met my Dokter moet opneem. Ek glo daar moet andermedikasie wees want magtig man, ek kan nie so aanhou optel nie!! Dankie vir die info en sterkte vir jou!!

Reply to Robert
Posted by: Johan | 2010/01/26

Robert,
Gebruik jy Metformin/Glucophage vir jou suiker?
Dit laat jou gewig optel. Ek spuit nog insulien ook!
Dit is maar ' n stryd om gewig te verloor.

Reply to Johan

Dear Robert