Question
Posted by: Francois | 2011/12/05

Weight &  Eltroxin

At the age of 30 I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. My thyroid was removed and I was put on Eltroxin. For the next 12 years I was training like a man possessed always being mindful of what I''m eating and yet the weight kept creeping up.
I had my bloods done regularly and currently I am on 300 µ g Eltroxin per day.
I have now been diagnosed as prediabetic by my doctor and ordered to follow a sensible diet!
My typical daily diet:
Breakfast
30g Bran Flakes &  Low fat milk + small protein shake/ 1 boiled egg
Mid Morning: An apple
Lunch:
Two slices of low GI bread with 50g chicken/ cottage cheese, lettuce and tomato.
Mid afternoon 175g low fat yoghurt
Dinner:
150g fish/ skinless deboned chicken/ steak.
One baked sweet potato
Vegetables (cooked in water)

Because of the prediabtes I now also take Glucophage.
I''m still not losing weight.
Could it be the Eltroxin?
Could you suggest an alternative eating plan?

Francois

Dear Francois
I am sorry to hear that you had thyroid cancer and had to have your thyroid gland removed. The Eltroxin you are taking should help you lose weight, not cause any gain. Patients with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes have so-called insulin resistance, which involves insulin a hormone produced by another gland called the pancreas. If you are not losing weight on the diet that you describe which looks sensible (except that it is rather high in protein) and low-fat, and the Glucophage, then I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian for an individual diet prescription. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight and hypothyroidism, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet and Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. You mention that you did a lot of training for 12 years. If you are still doing a lot of exercise, then please keep up the good work because it should help with the weightloss and also continue to stimulate your metabolism that may be sluggish due to the lack of a thyroid gland.
I hope that you will see a dietitian and that you will then start losing weight.

1

Dear Francois