Posted by: Nettie | 2013-01-21

The last 3 weeks i have been having constant headache''s. Sometimes it feels like i have taken some pain killers and i am on a trip! (which i didnt do) I wake up every morning and my side of my one eye is always blood shot! When i lean forward and come up it feels like my head is being squesed, like i am not getting oxygin in my brain for a few seconds. I am overweight (bmi 37)and wonder if this could be the cause of my problems, I also have had the mirena for about 2 months now.

Being overweight can cause sleep apnoea. During the night, when you are relaxed, the soft tissue in the back of the throat causes obstruction of airflow to the lungs. This in turn will cause poor quality of sleep and impair REM sleep. You will wake up feeling tired, not well rested and you will experience a chronic headache. It is important to consult an internal specialist for a sleep study, as well as metabolic tests, to exclude diabetes and hypothyroidism. The internal specialist can also refer you to a dietrician, as it is imperative that you loose weight.