Posted by: Penny | 2012-01-26

As a 63 year old female whose BMI is 23 I have been advised by my Dr that maybe to loose a few kgs could be good for me but I was always lead to believe that a bit of extra weight when you are older is good for your bone protection. I walk, do weights at gym and wish to up my fitness level a bit this year as last year was a busy year and I slacked off a bit. I''m not sure what to do but if you agree then I will diet. Thank you. pp

Hi Penny

You're right, the additional mass is good for the bones, and given that your BMI is perfectly normal, I'd side with you on this one. The doctor is not necessarily wrong, and we do know that if people lose weight, even in that range, their risk profile might come down slightly, but I would say that if you have a healthy, active lifestyle, and your eating habits are good (and certainly, on the lifestyle, you tick the boxes), then if your weight is stable and gives you a BMI of 23, then that's what it is. To try to force that down now, as you recognize, needs diet, and that's not something that I think is really necessary and may have other negative consequences.

It would be different if you did zero exercise and ate very badly, because then it might be a healthy change to start getting active and eat better, and you might find that your weight would come down. But the way it stands, as you've explained, there's not much "play" there, so I'd stay with how it is, just make sure the healthy living continues, and don't worry about the weight too much!