Question
Posted by: NS | 2011/12/06

weight

I''ve been on a low GI diet for a year now and have lost about 10 kg with a total fat loss of 10 % somehow I feel this is a bit slow. I do 4 to 5 times of gym per week with an average on an hour per day. I change my regime frequently with a combination of cardio and weights like kettle bell exercises. I am still overweight but when I started I was borderline obese. Is this the right rate of losing weight. What else can I possibly do to speed things up?

Hi NS

It's not bad, I think you should be satisfied with the progress, honestly. There's some evidence that shows that the slower you lose weight, the more likely you will keep that weight off. in contrast, when you shed weight rapidly, there's a better chance of it coming back. So the silver lining is that maybe now you have a better chance of sustaining it, so don't be discouraged at all!

I think as long as you are continuing to lose weight, and feel better, then you're heading in the right direction. If you ever stagnate, either with weight, or in terms of your fitness, then it's time to make some permanent changes, but otherwise, you're on the right track.

In terms of the change, look at the intensity of training. I'm not saying you should make the training sessions so hard you hate them, but if you can introduce even 5 to 10 minutes of higher intensity training, it helps. Say you are doing 30 min of cardio - try to do that middle 10 min at 10 to 20% higher speeds or power outputs than normal, see how it feels.

Keep it up!
Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/02/02

Hi NS

Keep it up!
Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc