Question
Posted by: Flower | 2011-03-22

weight

Good Day,

I would like some help with my weight, I am 22yrs old, wheigh 64kg and i am 150cm tall, (overweight, i know)

On a avrage day i consume +- 1400 - 1500 calories p/day and i do exercises 5 times a week and still not loosing anything
so i am not sure if i am not doing the calorie thing correctly, so here is a example of yesturdays food intake each day is more or less the same:

breakfast - 1 cup cooked oats with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 cup milk - 271 calories

lunch - hero ham cheese,tomato and lettuce roll, white bread roll - 464 calories

dinner - 1 serving spageti (brown)and lean mince with bolognaise sauce - 500 calories

5 cups of black coffee with 2 sugars - 165 calories

i also drink about 5-6 classes water

my exercises consist of 30-40 min of hip hop abs or zumba

what am i doing rong, i dont want to do a strict diet

Dear Flower
Your present BMI = 28.4 which is above the upper level of the normal range (18-25). To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 24 you would need to weigh 54 kg (thus a loss of 10 kg). The diet you describe is low in energy and you should be losing weight if you only ingest 1400-1500 kcal per day, esp if you do up to 40 min of aerobic exercise 5 times a week. You could try using a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet because this would help of you suffer from insulin resistance. Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Your diet is rather unbalanced, it requires additional sources of calcium (low-fat or skim milk or yoghurt), and more dietary fibre. If you find it difficult to apply the low-fat, low-GI diet please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you through the initial phases of using this type of diet.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-03-22

Dear Flower