Question
Posted by: Jo | 2010/09/10

Weight

I have 3 year old German Shepherd, He is very skinny and just will not pick up weight. He is not sick &  I deworm my dogs every three months. My other two GSD is very nice. What can I give him to pick up weight?

Hi Jo

There can be many reasons why your GSD is skinny. It could be genetic, exercise, nutritional and/or medical.

I would advise that you go to the vet for a check-up and get some advise upon nutrition and medical problems such as pancreatic insufficiency.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/11

Please bear in mind two other things: one, is that some dogs just ARE skinny, without there being anything wrong (just like people), and two, it is better for a dog to be on the thin side rather than on the plump side, specially a large breed like yours that is prone to hip problems.

But as cv advises - take him along to be checked over by the vet. If he gets the all-clear, then stop worrying.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/10

Hi Jo

Reply to CyberVet