Question
Posted by: lulu | 2010/02/08

weight

Dear Dr, I have a morbid obese problem and I simply find it difficult to lose weight and stick to a diet...do you think I may need to see someone or is it as everyone says...its in the mind? I am turning 50 soon and am battling with all kinds of health problems...i have been dieting on and off for the past eons - so lost. Thank you Lulu

Obviously, as you experience it, too, some of it is indeed in the mind, and in a rather complex manner, not as simply as some people sem to assume. A shrink offering Cognitive-Bhehaviour Therapy ( CBT ) could surely help you to change the habits and assumptions that are a significant part of your problem, and to help you re-gain control of your diet and exercise habits. Good luck !

2
Posted by: qwerty | 2010/02/08

It is indeed all in the mind - everyone I know who has ever lost weight and kept it off successfully, agrees that you literally need to change the way you think and live for good in order to achieve that.

See a good dietitian, who will work out an eating plan for you. You' d be surprised at how well you can eat while still losing weight! It doesn' t just have to be lettuce leaves and carrot sticks.
It' s about making healthier choices - e.g. instead of having a greasy bacon, fried eggs and toast breakfast, fry up some reduced fat bacon (still very tasty!), poach the egg and have some wholewheat toast. Same meal, much less fat! The minute you start depriving yourself of something completely, you' ll start obsessing about it. If you allow yourself the odd " treat" , you' ll be much better at making mostly healthy choices for the rest.

Reply to qwerty