Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2010/01/20

weight

Good day doc,

I know that i am overweight, I would like to know what my ideal weight should be, i am 21yrs and 1.47 in hight and i weigh 65kg

wht would be the best exercise for me that i can do at home and which foods should i avoid? I love food and dont want to go on a strict diet telling me that I have to eat this for brealfast and that for lunch ect. I have already swiched my rice, pasta and breads to brown, I have also learned about Low GI and comlex carbs, can I do a low GI, Low fat and complex carb diet but meaning eat everything with low GI Low fat and Complex carbs or would I be missing out on essential nutrients? this will not be like a diet plan for me and my family but a lifestyle change and I struggle to recognise foods that is not good for my weight other than sweets ect. I like food like spagetti bolognaise, chicken a la king, beef straganoff ect. and i dont knw how fatening these foods are, please help.

Dear Lisa
Your present BMI = 30,1 which is in the obese category. To get back to the normal range you would need to weigh 54 kg (with a BMI of 25). For an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to weigh 48 kg. Now in both cases you would have to lose a lot of weight (11 and 17 kg respectively), so I would encourage you to first try to lose those first 11 kg which will already make a great difference to your life. Once you have reached your first target you can slowly lose the other 6 kg. The use of a low-fat, low-GI diet with a reduced energy content is an excellent idea for weightloss. If you find it difficult to sort out this type of diet you should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the initial stages until you are confident about using the diet. You will certainly not be missing out on essential nutrients as you will not be cutting out any of the essential food groups. You are also quite correct that this is a lifestyle change - the entire family will actually benefit. Foods like spaghetti bolognaise, chicken a la king and beef stroganoff are perfectly acceptable, BUT you will have to learn how to prepare these dishes with as little fat as possible (for example when making the bolognaise- use the leanest mince you can buy, use only 1 teaspoon of oil to fry up the onions and the meat in a non-stick pan, add plenty of tomatoes, sweet peppers and carrots to the meat to 'dilute' it and have a small portion on spaghetti made from Durum wheat). Just keep in mind that you need to reduce your portions in addition to changing to low-fat, low-GI. Do this gradually so that your system can get used to eating smaller, but more satiating meals. As regards exercise you need to decide if you can go for brisk walks or if you would prefer skipping? Both are excellent aerobic exercises which can be done at home. Exercise for 30 min every day and you will see the difference. Also start gradually and increase how far and fast you walk or how long and fast you skip.
Take things one step at a time.

1

Dear Lisa
Take things one step at a time.