Posted by: Damilola | 2009-10-04

I am a diabetic teenager, i am quite tiny and i know for sure his is because of my diabetes. what foods can i take to help me grow taller and develop some good and effective body muscles.

Dear Damilola
I trust that you are under the care of a clinical dietitian? If not PLEASE contact a clinical dietitian ASAP. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. It is even more important if you are a teenager and still growing and if you intend developing muscles. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as underweight, into account when working out a a specific diet prescription for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. This diet prescription will be tailored to your individual needs, hence the importance of consulting the dietitian. Ask your doctor who is treating your diabetes what type of muscle building exercises you are allowed to do and if your doctor gives permission, then join a gym (explain to the instructor that you are diabetic) and start doing some strength building exercises (the dietitian will have to advise you about your carbohydrate intake before, during and after exercise).