Posted by: lindi | 2009-01-13

I dont think I am overweight .but whenever I pick weight it always shows on my face .What can I do as I have beuatifull face but it is so fat and it hard for me to slim as I am little in the bottom.

HI Lindi

This is perhaps the most common question, even those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms or thighs, you in the face.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million sit-ups a day is not the sole solution for someone with a stomach problem. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. Apart from this, it's impossible to target the face anyway.

So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging. You’re already doing this with your jogging, but you might consider how often you run (four or five times a week is ideal), and very importantly, the intensity (running speed). A small increase in intensity, even once a week, can have a big effect.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three basis.