Question
Posted by: Worried runner | 2009-01-13

Weight

I started running 4 times a week for 30 min each day in December. The problem I am experiencing is that even though I have not changed my diet, my clothes feel tighter. My typical meal is all bran flakes with low fat milk for breakfast, fruit at 10, lunch is a salad and grilled chicken, at 3pm another fruit and for supper fish and salad or steamed vegetables. I drink at least 2l of water a day. What could be the reason for my clothes feeling tigher?

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The first thing that happens with many people when they start exercise is that they increase their muscle mass just a little bit. That tends to create this tighter clothes feeling, but it goes away, and you'll soon start benefiting from a loss of fat as well, and that is your ultimate goal. So I would not judge progress just yet - give it another 3 to 4 weeks and then assess.