Question
Posted by: denise | 2012/04/10

weigh in

I normally weigh myself every friday morning. I know that I am about 40kg overweight, but I am trying to eat healthy and exercising, so I need to keep a record of my weight. I weighed 119.4kg on the 30th of March. Then when I wanted to show my niece how she must stand on the scale on tuesday the 3rd of March I weighed 118.4kg. I did not take any notice of it because I know that my weigh-in day is Friday, but was glad to see that I did not pick up. Then on my weigh in day, I tipped the scale at 121.6kg. How is it possible to gain 2.2kg in one week, or 3.2kg in 3 days. My weight gain has been around 8kg a year for the last couple of years. I know that I gained all this extra weight over a large period of time, and is realistic enough to know that it will take a long time to lose all of it, but to gain 3.2 kg in a week is bad. I am healthy otherwise, but what can cause this, I am trying so hard.

Dear Denise
I can imagine that you must be so disappointed. The problem is that body weight can vary a great deal from day to day and even from the morning to the night of the same day. Fluctuations of up to 3 kg per day are quite common, particularly in women because of variations in female hormone levels. The female hormones can affect how your body retains or excretes water and each ml of water weighs about 1g. Other hormones including cortisol, a stress hormone, can also affect water retention and body weight. If you have not yet had your hormones tested, please consider having them done at a path lab. Your doctor can arrange for you to have the necessary tests for check the female hormone, thyroid, and insulin. If one or more of these hormones are malfunctioning, this could account for your problem. The dr will provide the necessary treatment and if you have insulin resistance or polycystic ovary syndrome you should also use a low-fat, low-GI diet. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.

1

Dear Denise