Question
Posted by: ABC | 2011/06/12

Weekly migraines

I get migraines almost weekly. It''s really bad: it influences my speech, a part of my face goes numb, nausea and vomiting, can''t see properly and I can''t hold stuff. The first day is really bad as I cry in pain. I also feel like I''m disconnected from my body. These migraines started when I was 11 years old. After effects last for 3 days. The second day after the migrain it feels as if my brain has come loose. The third day I still have a light headache and nausea. " Luckily"  most of the time I get a " warning"  - coloured halo lights around everything.

I have PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and my hormones are crazy. Was diagnosed 9 years ago.

I also get normal headaches in between the migraines.

I use Immigrain Injections which helps a bit if I take it early enough. The wafer and all the other stuff don''t work - I''ve been through it all. I''ve had a MRI and the doc couldn''t find anything wrong.

I''m desperate, please help.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear ABC,

Your symptoms are the same as many many other migraine sufferers, and we can definitely help you. All that a normal MRI means is that you don't have a brain problem, but that is not surprising as migraine pain doesn't come from the brain anyway - it comes from the srtuctures outside the skull - the arteries, the muscles, and the nerves.To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/06/13

Dear ABC,

Reply to Headache expert