Posted by: Sue | 2009-06-02

Weekends and binge eating

Hi there doc
I am following a low GI dieet with a max of 1000 Cal p/day with no problem but as soon as the weekend come I let down and eat sweets and chips and all things that I am not suppose to , the end result is that I get on the scale on Friday and lost a 1 kg but come monday I have picked it up , my BMI is 30 so I need to loose weight , any advise ?

Dear Sue
In this situation, YOU are the only person on earth who can take the decision to stick to your diet and NOT to binge on weekends. You have positive proof that the low-GI diet is working for you because you are losing 1 kg per week. This type of self-sabotaging behaviour may require some psychological assistance because you seem to not want to lose weight. If you have issues about food (using it as a crutch or a reward or a way of handling life) then please consult a clinical psychologist to help you explore why you are doing this and how to stop. If you just lack self-control, then using self-motivation tapes like Innertalk should also be useful. Try contacting Innertalk at or for motivational tapes to get you going on the diet and some exercise.