Question

Week of fever

Dear Doc

My 9y old son a week ago complained of a headache and had a fever. He also has one nostril that is very blocked. Since last week thursday, he has had a fever on and off every day - usually nothing in the morning and then a fever of 38.2 to 38.7 during the afternoon and evenings. Upon waking his temp is normal. He is not complaining of pain, and seems ok at school. He certainly seems tired when the fever strikes. He still eats, but less than what us usual for him. He also has one nostril that is very congested. I have treated that with sinus irrigation. I am confused about the fever that comes and goes. I know colds are viral, but perhaps he has develped sinusitus and needs an antibiotic?

Yes, you are correct in assuming that he might have a bacterial sinusitis and I suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and possible course of antibiotics.