Question
Posted by: Margie | 2011/08/16

Wedding: Self Catering Healthy Foods

I’ m getting married soon, and have planned to self cater. I’ ve also decided to go for finger foods instead of main meals. I have a problem however that I have to cater for a variety of tastes and needs, including diabetic and vegan. I have quite a long list of foods that I want to serve but my vegetable (vegan) options are quite bland. I have mini carrots, cucumber slices, avocado, hummus, potato wedges and vegetable bake in my list. I have no idea what other vegan friendly items I can add. Also, I don’ t know what kind of SWEET finger foods I can serve for my diabetic and vegan guests. I have strawberries, peach, mango, pineapple and grapes on my sweet list. Is there an article or something I can read to give me more options, with regards to things like cupcakes and cakes?

Dear Margie
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I think it is wonderful that you are going to do your own catering and that you are prepared to accommodate a variety of different eating patterns. The vegans I know make the most wonderful salads with every type of vegetable, fruit, bean sprouts and nuts. If you do a Search on the Internet for vegan recipes, you will find hundreds, if not thousands of tasty recipes. Keep in mind that most vegans are allowed to eat herbs and spices of plant origin (garlic, onions, parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc) which can be added to bland dishes to make them tastier. Vegan like eating fresh raw fruit, so make pretty skewers with a variety of fruits as listed, so that you have a nice mix of colours and texture. You can also check on the Internet for vegan dessert recipes. The same applies to your diabetic guests. They can for example eat diabetic jelly which you can buy at most supermarkets or health shops. There are excellent diabetic recipe books available in SA, such as 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . The book on diabetes which I reviewed a week ago, namely "The Complete Nutritional Solution to Diabetes" by another SA dietitian, called Ria Catsicas, also has delicious recipes for diabetic meals and desserts.
I hope that you will get some inspiration from the multitude of really excellent recipes that are available on the Internet and in the above mentioned books.
Wishing you a most successful and happy wedding.

2
Posted by: TC | 2011/08/17

What about veggie wraps (shredded cabbage/carrots,celery mix with mayo or what you prefer, wrap can be cut in half and secure with t/pick ) or veggie springroll''s. Baby potatoes boiled and filled with filling you prefer, need not to be meat.
Stuffed mushrooms, stuffed pepadews.. Stuffed small peppers.
Pickels, actually there is sooooo many vegan and vegetarian options, list is endless.......

Reply to TC

Dear Margie