Posted by: Lisa | 2009-04-20

I will be getting married in a few weeks time and I have been going threw such a tough time lately, i just feel so lonely in the preparations leading up to this wedding, i feel that my family arent supporting me and making a fuss out of me, I know this sounds like im a spoilt brat, but it would be nice if they were showed there enthusiasm as much as my inlaws to be. This is meant to be the most happiest time of my life but i feel increadible sadness and loneliness.

Could this just be the normal stress of wedding arrangements that brides normally go threw, because i know most girls are on emotional rollercoaster’ s. But this is affecting my happiness

I have the most supportive Fiance and i couldnt ask for anyone better than him.

But this wedding stuff is leaving me feeling depressed and drained.

Have other people experienced this, is it normal?

I think in recent years some sections of society have vreated wildly unrealistic models mof "the wedding", with the bride qas a Princess preparing for an elaborate coronation, and expecting to be treated royally. Miles away from the old idea of a simple and sincere religious ceremony ( whatever the religion ) and becoming a major display of family wealth and influience. Not only is this needlessly expensive ( money that could be far better used to enable the couple to invest in home and work in their early years ) but expectations become so high that they are inevtiably disappointing. I think it is the marriage which you should both ( the couple ) work to make the happiest time of your life --- not just the wedding itself.
And I think that the modern extravagent view of weddings greatly add to the inevitable emotional swings of any normal marriage.
I'm sorry if this doesn't sound very supportive, because it is well meant. Expecting less, you might get more. Ride it out, avoid undue inflation of the festivities, and concentrate on the central relationship with your excellent fiancee --- THAT'S what it should all be about.

Shame gal, i got married a year ago and i also felt like my family were not doing enough, but it turned out ok. Just dont let it get to you, its gonna be beautiful, All the best gal :-)

Posted by: Melissa | 2009-04-20

You are certainly not being a spoilt brat, you are feeling sensitive because your family are not showing you much support, afterall it is your wedding. Perhaps discuss with them, maybe they are not even aware of what they are doing that is causing you to feel this way. good luck for the BIG day.

Reply to Melissa