Question
Posted by: Xoli | 2009-08-06

Weather related migraine?

Pls help. I' ve been getting migraines since my teen years (now 34)around the right eye upper nose area but have noticed that I don' t get them when the weather is cold/rainy. I mostly get them when it' s very hot/humid and the air is dry or when exposed to aircons, sometimes I get nausea &  be sensitive to light, food smells &  noise . Also I get a nose bleed. Dr ruled out sinus headache as the x-ray results were clear. He said it' s a migraine &  prescribed Migril to take. I ' ve never taken it over colder months &  now took one yesterday (had migraine) cause it' s getting a bit hot/humid in PTA now. Any advise as we approach spring/summer soon???. THANKS

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Xoli,

Taking drugs like Migril may help in the short term, but in the long term can cause the headaches to get worse.
The hot weather is just a trigger for your migraines, and the way to approach the problem is to find out why that type of weather affects you and not other people. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/