Posted by: Shelly | 2012-03-04

Wear and tear in back

I am 47 years old been having a sore back lower down been to a bioketinist dfor 6 months she said my hasmstrings were tight, then went to my Dr who sent me for an x-rays this year and the results are wear and tear and arthritis in the back, I then went for physio and had needles and treatment which gave relief while I was there some days it is fine other days gets sore when I start moving in the morning and my feet also ache over the bridge of the foot the day the back is sore. Yesterday I could hardly bend and walk properly today it is fine. . My hormes Estradiol level have also dropped and I read that could also be the cause of the ache and pains. My Dr has now done a Arteritis profile blood test and uric acid. I also have ostenpenia in my hip and spine. What is the difference between a Oestepath and a Chiropractor. Cant carry on like this.

Expert ImageOsteopath

Originally Osteopathy was founded in 1874 by Dr Andrew Taylor Still, an American medical doctor. One of Dr Still’s students was Daniel David Palmer who founded Chiropractic in 1895. The association between Dr Still and Palmer is not usually mentioned in accounts of the history of Chiropractic. Despite these early links, Osteopathy & Chiropractic are now quite different.
Philosophy, Treatment Objective And DiagnosisA shared philosophy for osteopathy and chiropractic is the importance of the integrity of the spine in ensuring good health.
The primary objective of both osteopathy and chiropractic is to remove bodily aches and pains, and both are able to make a diagnosis by history, clinical tests and examination.
Chiropractors tend to use x-rays for diagnosis. However, Osteopaths focus on history, clinical tests and palpation for diagnosis, and do not order x-rays unless they are clinically indicated. This minimises a person’s exposure to radiation.
Treatment TechniquesChiropractors tend to be very focused on a range of techniques for manipulation of the spine.
Where as, Osteopaths do not manipulate (‘click ’) a joint the way Chiropractors do, they make use of a wider range of techniques for the whole body. Apart from manipulation, Osteopaths use other techniques such as stretches, massage and gentle release techniques (cranial osteopathy) without any ‘clicking’ of the joints. These techniques are seldom used by Chiropractors.
Treatment Duration / FrequencyGenerally, Osteopaths allow a longer treatment time with each patient. Also, Osteopathic patients require less frequent treatments and their treatments tend to be spaced out over a longer period, rather than once or twice weekly.