Question
Posted by: Antoinette | 2011/05/01

Weaning off HRT

Doc, I took Angeliq for a year, but gyne changed me to Livifem, which I have been on for a month now. I would like to wean off HRT and am taking a pill now every 2nd night. But I am experiencing very tender and sore breasts and water retention, I feel like the " Oros - mannetjie" ! Please advise! Many thanks.

Antoinette

You do not have to wean off your HRT. Take one month of cycle of HRT and then stop your medication in the placebo area. Ask your doctor for a light duiretic to combat the symptom of water retention. I suggest something like indapamide 2,5mg, once daily, taken in the morning.